Friday, March 23, 2012

Getting there? Got there now what?

I%26#39;m considering a short get-away for a few days to the Crater Of Diamonds coming out of the Northwest. I%26#39;m early retired and gave up owning a car as it was an unnecassary expense because all my needs are within walking distance so I%26#39;ll bus it there maybe rent a car in Nashville I suspect? A couple Q%26#39;s if anyone would be so kind as to provide a little info...





What is the closest busline(s) around Murfreesboro or The Crater or where is the closest stop to the Crater or Murfreesboro?





What would be the best value for the dollar motel or B%26amp; B wise in Murfreesboro? I read about a Queen Of Diamonds B%26amp;B





Is there taxi service in Murfreesboro?





Is there car rental service in Murfreesboro?





Is there anything considered a major airport nearby? Texarkana or Little Rock maybe?





Thank you for providing anything to help me plan a NW cabin fever relief trip.





Our weather, except for humidity seem about the same, maybe less snow around there but weather or time of year doesn%26#39;t really matter but I would most likely avoid summertime heat. I%26#39;d be ready to go by this weekend actually -lol





Thanks again.





Jay



Getting there? Got there now what?


can%26#39;t help with most of questions%26#39;s other than to suggest you go to yellowpages.com to look up full list of hotels, taxi services, rental and maybe possibility of bus depot there. Good sized airport in Little Rock. It%26#39;s not an international airport, so it%26#39;s not as big an airport to get around in. I have only passed thru Texarkana on the highway, so not sure about airport there. Texarkana definitely closer to Murf. than Little Rock. So if an airport in Texarkana, I would think it would be preferable to Little Rock arrival. Weather is great for this weekend so far. Rain is out of the area and it%26#39;s supposed to be 69%26#39; this weekend, so humidity not really a factor going into this time of year. If a possibility, come on down ;-) Would think, definitely less snow here. We%26#39;re lucky to get 2-6 inches a year. One tip I heard about the Crater of Diamond%26#39;s is to find out when they plow the field up. Then go right after that%26#39;s done. That way it might have stirred up some beauties to be found.



Getting there? Got there now what?


OK, I%26#39;ll bite. There%26#39;s no way to get to Murfreesboro except by car (well, on foot counts as well I suppose, but I doubt that%26#39;s a viable option). Murfreesboro is tiny -- population is under 2,000, and there%26#39;s only about 11K-12K in all of Pike County. Nearest taxi service or car rental is in Arkadelphia, 40 miles (and over an hour of driving time) away. You%26#39;ll have to have a car to get around once you%26#39;re there anyway.





I suspect you%26#39;ll end up flying into Little Rock, and the only sane thing to do is rent a car there and drive -- it%26#39;ll probably take you 2 and a half hours. There are also flights into Hot Springs, and you could fly there and rent a car and be 45 minutes closer, but there%26#39;ll be fewer flight options and they%26#39;ll likely be a bit more expensive.





If you%26#39;re going to stay in Murfreesboro, there are four options in town, none part of a national chain.





Honestly, if it were me, I%26#39;d go to Hot Springs and make a side trip to Murfreesboro for one day -- besides the diamond mine, there%26#39;s really nothing of interest in Murfreesboro. There%26#39;s lots of interesting and fun stuff to do in Hot Springs, and if you stay downtown you can get around much of it on foot (and they do have cabs, though not that many, you could avoid driving/renting a car completely if you fly into HOT).




Thanks for the replies folks, sorry it took so long to reply, I was under the impression I would get a message either FWD%26#39;d to my e-mail or TA would notify me of a reply, maybe I forgot to check-off below, anywho, the tips were all very helpful. I was kinda considering a laid back train trip down the west coast and across the south but flying to the Springs sounds best for a time saver even if a bit more in cost. Coming out of the NW and working for a living outdoors 24/7 year-round the weather (except maybe for the humidity) shouldn%26#39;t be a bother...so what%26#39;s best for the humidity clothes-wise? A thick Hawaiian print t-shirt or maybe a tie-dyed one circa the 70%26#39;s?? lol I%26#39;ll get there sooner or later just for the hell of it...





Thank you again (both) for your input flame70 and rackensack...





J


  • bumble and bumble
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment