Friday, March 23, 2012

Buffolo Outdoor Center

The cabin we stayed in (Valley Mist) was very pricey. In my opinion, the cabin was very overpriced. Our large one room cabin came with a couch, chair, bed, and kitchen, a heart shaped jacuzzi, and tv for watching DVDs only. The tv didn%26#39;t work otherwise. There was a CD player. The porch was my favorite part of the cabin. Our room was very dark once the sun went down each evening. It was the first place I have ever stayed that didn%26#39;t have a lamp on each side of the bed, so I read by flashlight at night. I think our room was about $160.00 per night. Not one person ever even knocked on the door to service the cabin the entire time we were there (Th-Sun). I spent a majority of the day on the porch--which was nice for reading and relaxing. The cabin had some pots and pans, but no can opener. There was a bottle of cheap champagne in the frig so I assume Valley Mist is considered the honeymoon suite. There was no signage to alert you if the champagne was included or if an added fee would be charged. My second largest complaint about this cabin behind the darkness in the cabin at night, was the noise. There were various sounds coming from the hot water tank, the heating unit, and who knows where else that kept both of us awake all night long all three nights we stayed here. Another complaint we had was the bed. The bed should be turned over or replaced. It had a big sinking spot in the middle. The best thing going for this ';resort'; is its location. Ponca is a beautiful place to explore if you enjoy hiking, canoe trips, nature, landscapes, etc. Bring your own food as the location is quite remote... and don%26#39;t forget your can opener. The closest town for dining out is about 30 or 45 minutes down the road.



Buffolo Outdoor Center


We rented a luxury cabin from BOC last summer (the President%26#39;s Cabin at $229!) and although the views are spectacular, the facility is very average and VERY pricey. My guess is that BOC%26#39;s high dollar cabins do not get many repeat visitors, since there are competitive facilities in the area that are much better priced. Also, although the President%26#39;s Cabin nominally contains two bedrooms, the entire floor plan is open. I%26#39;d hate to try to share the space with friends or another couple.





I was also surprised to learn that through some unknown technical glitch, BOC thought we had rented two cabins instead of one. When I corrected that at check in, I got treated like I was a big liar and trying to avoid a cancellation penalty. My family%26#39;s ties in the Boxley-Ponca area go back 7 generations, and BOC is the only business I%26#39;ve been to in the area that wasn%26#39;t just full of the nicest people on the planet.





I%26#39;d give the experience a ';C,'; with the higher grade mostly because of the great views.



Buffolo Outdoor Center


Marla and JCT: Thanks for the information on BOC. Consider writing reviews for BOC under Ponca Hotels if you have not already. The reviews will be accessible for a few years to others considering a visit to the beautiful Buffalo River. It may be easy for your helpful information to get lost in the forum archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment