Saturday, April 21, 2012

Eureka Springs in Jan

I have never been to Eureka Springs. My husband and I need a weekend getaway before I start the invitro process. Are restaurants and shops open at the end of Jan? I am thinking about staying at the Grand Hotel. Any suggestions will be appreciated.



Eureka Springs in Jan


Was that the Grand Central Hotel you were looking at? It along with another smaller historic hotel, The New Orleans, have received consistently good reviews on this website. I have stayed at the New Orleans a few years back and liked it. It can be a little noisy as it is right on the main street through the historic downtown but it is handy to the shops and restaurants. The Grand Central is right on the street as well, but a less traveled one. It is not a long walk at all to the center of action. I have not been been to Eureka this winter. The reports in this forum are that a few places are closed but the town is generally open and active. Even if it is not as consumer oriented as in the summer, it is a great walking town if you stick to the historic district. The climbs are a bit steep but the surprises like hidden stairways, springs, gorgeous historic homes are endless. Just outside of town, tucked back in the woods is one of the 20th Century%26#39;s most important pieces of architecure, Thorncrown Chapel. Even if you are not religious, check out this Frank Lloyd Wright inspired building. I think it is worth a drive from Eureka to the Fayetteville area (Johnson AR) for dinner at James at the Mill - in my view, Arkansas%26#39;s best place to dine.

No comments:

Post a Comment