Saturday, April 21, 2012

Eureka Springs -- traffic hell

Eureka Springs is one of the most beautiful places I%26#39;ve visited in the South.

However, I will NEVER go back.

Bumper to bumper traffic. Very limited parking downtown (and none available when I was there). I parked on a residential street 1/2 mile away and walked back to town. (Actually, they expect you to park a mile away from town and board a shuttle. No thanks. I will not be herded like cattle.)

The approach to E.S. is lined with motel after motel. The downtown, though quaint and interesting to browse, actually boils down to mediocre restaurants and tourist shops.

The natural beauty, while breaktaking, is no match for the suffocating traffic and commercial excess,

Eureka Springs -- traffic hell

Wow, I bet you have never been to Branson. Forget the traffic and stay at one of the hotels along the downtown street, then you really never have to get in your car until you leave. I have been going to Eureka Springs for over 30 years, every year. It is my favorite place in the world to visit. I started out in the small hotel rooms along the street, but now I stay in a wonderful cabin about 6 miles outside of Eureka Springs and it is so beautiful that I stay for as long as possible and go into the downtown area for one day and do everything my heart desires. Zarks is a wonderful place to buy jewerly. For years my husband has bought me anniversary gifts of jewerly from Zarks and I cherish everyone of them. We have a wonderful time and eat lunch and sometimes dinner in town, and then back to the cabin via a trip around Beaver lake. We always go in the early Spring and Fall. It is breath taking. Our cabin is awsome, double jacuzzi, stone fireplace and large covered front porch in the woods. I feel like I am in gods country and never want to leave. I will put up with a little traffic, that way you can really slow down and see what is there. The most traffic I have encountered is during Corvette Weekend. There are about 500-800 or so corvettes and it is really nice to go to the open car show and see the vintage corvettes and at 11:00pm they have a parade. It is quite a show, and I am not even a covette fan. You can find anything your heart desires. What a perfect place to go Christmas shopping. At night if you go downtown and take digital pictures of the streets you can see the orbs of spirits walking the streets. I love it, traffic and all. I have my cabin booked for mid April and can not wait. It is better than our honeymoon. Private and sucluded. I think you just need to slow down and enjoy the ambiance of it all. Where else can you go and get the beautiful senerey god created and think about how these people must have had to struggle to make this oasis in the ozark mountains. Go back and enjoy it with a different frame of mind and I think you will change your mind.

Sherry D

Tulsa, OK

Eureka Springs -- traffic hell

We were in town for Corvette weekend (mentioned below) and the traffic was bad. I have to say though, don%26#39;t let this keep you from Eureka Springs. My husband and I drove about 5 hours from Topeka, Kansas for a nice long weekend getaway. The charm far outweighs the traffic. You do need to find hotel/B %26amp; B that provides parking-yes. Otherwise, you need to be able to walk the town for the best experience. If you have kids with you, it may be harder to enjoy.

  • streamreader
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment