Friday, March 23, 2012

West Memphis versus Memphis accommodation

Someone suggested getting a hotel in West Memphis to save money while visiting Memphis. We want to visit Beale St, the music museums etc. Does it make sense to stay in West Memphis and drive or take public transportation to downtown Memphis? Can anyone suggest a suite hotel?



Thanks for your help.



West Memphis versus Memphis accommodation


West Memphis is only 10-15 minutes from downtown Memphis, and there are definitely cheaper rooms there. The difference is that if you stay downtown, you probably wouldn%26#39;t have to drive at all, unless you want to see Graceland, which is a short drive away. Don%26#39;t know much about Memphis public transportation but my instinct tells me that it%26#39;s not so good unless you take a taxi (expensive). Several of the West Memphis hotels however have free shuttles to downtown.



West Memphis versus Memphis accommodation


Thanks for the post. Do you happen to know which of the hotels offer the shuttle service?




I guess this sounds pretty rude but I wouldn%26#39;t stay in West Memphis unless I were forced. Though I am sure there are nice people in that city, the part of West Memphis where all the hotels are is just an access road for a heavily trucked interstate. Downtown Memphis is not perfect, but it is a city. It has historical buildings, great views of the Mississippi River, museums, music, and quite a few interesting things to see on a walk through the area. Check out the downtown Memphis hotels carefully. It is possible you will be able to find a rate which will be in your budget. West Memphis is not a place to take a vacation unless you enjoy betting on dog races.




OK thanks for the advice. I don%26#39;t find it rude at all, but helpful, as I have not been to either city. We require a suite so we are having to pay more, but I think I will go with Springhill Suites. The reviews are look pretty positive.



Thanks again!




Sounds like you%26#39;ve already decided to heed jimjade%26#39;s advice, but I%26#39;ll second it anyway. West Memphis is geared (you should pardon the pun) pretty completely for the trucker market these days -- inexpensive hotels, cheap eats, lots of truck stops, etc. Most of the hotels right on I-40 are OK, but no better than that. Some . . . arent%26#39;. I certainly wouldn%26#39;t feel any safer in the parking lot of the Ramada Limited in West Memphis than in the parking lot of most downtown hotels.





It%26#39;s cheaper than downtown Memphis or even most of suburban Memphis, and it%26#39;s closer to downtown Memphis than a lot of the eastern suburbs, but there%26#39;s absolutely nothing there for a tourist other than a road back to Memphis.





If you%26#39;re looking at the SpringHill Suites on Court Square in downtown Memphis, definitely go for it. It%26#39;s probably my favorite place to stay in Memphis when I have the family with me on leisure trips.




I agree with Jim and Rackensack...the only view you%26#39;re going to get in West Memphis is the interstate, and the only thing you%26#39;re going to want to do there is get in the car and head to Memphis. But I understand, a budget is a budget!





Re a shuttle from W. Memphis to Memphis, last time I was there, one of my buddies stayed in the W. Memphis Econo-Lodge, this was in May during the Beale St. Music Festival. According to him, the shuttle served several hotels. I just called the Econo-Lodge, they offer no shuttle. So...I%26#39;m guessing that the shuttle was a music festival special feature.





Fyi, while my buddy stayed at the Econo-lodge, us more fortunate folks stayed in the heart of downtown, in a travel trailer parked on a side street. I highly recommend it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment